Saturday, December 21, 2013

Learning from the World of Antiques and Collectibles

I learned a lot about being an independent entrepreneur by reading the story of a self-employed antiques dealer in Maureen Stanton's book, Killer Stuff and Tons of Money. Earlier this month I posted a review of the book on EzineArticles.

The central figure of the book is an antiques dealer who works out of his house rather than going to an office or other "typical" place of business every day, and as someone who mostly works from my house, I could relate to his experiences balancing work, home, and family. There's a vivid image of his antiques encroaching on the living space in the house--it made me think of my books and papers strewn from room to room. Anyway, all this to say: even if you're not particularly interested in antiques, this is a great book to check out if you want to read the story of an indie businessman.

I've been doing a little selling on eBay over the past few months, so the story had some extra resonance for me in the descriptions of "the hunt" for treasures--although the stuff I look for (mostly t-shirts and toys) is a far cry from the antiques in the book!

It was clear to me that Maureen Stanton developed a great interest in antiques and collectibles over the course of her research for the book, and I hope she chooses to write more on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment