Friday, December 21, 2012

Marissa Poppens on Following Your Dream

Marissa Poppens is an artist and graphic designer. She owns Poppen Fresh Media LLC, a 3D visualizations, graphics, web, and animation design company located in Denver, Colorado. Offering a wide range of services, Poppen Fresh Media primarily focuses on marketing for small to medium-sized businesses through creating an eye-catching and unique identity. Poppen Fresh Media delivers high quality results because Marissa takes the time to work with each customer one on one and takes time to make sure each customer’s ideas and visions come to life with fresh ideas and fresh designs.

Kind thanks go to Marissa for sharing the following guest post.

As an independent multimedia artist and marketer for the past eight years, I've been through a lot of ups and downs. If you can take away anything from my personal experience, it’s this: if you have a dream, follow it and don't be afraid to ask for help. Other people want to see your dream happen just as much as you do.

In 2010, I was at a networking event where I really started asking for help in pursuing my dream of having my own multimedia business. I ran into the lady who had sold me my first car. I asked her for some business consulting tips, and she agreed to meet with me later. Upon meeting with her the following week, she connected me with somebody who had office space available. Unfortunately, I had no money at the time, but I decided to ask if I could trade services. The landlord agreed and set me up with office space for a year.

I've been able to grow my business for the past two years by meeting likeminded people and asking for help. I don't always get what I want right away, but I often do gain something that helps me continue expanding my business.

My advice is to go outside your normal group of friends, and tell everybody what your dream is. My own experience has taught me that if you’re truly passionate about your dream, people will want to help you. A lot of the help I've gotten I haven't asked for directly, but people have just connected me with others who can help.

Get out there and start asking. No favor is too big! Companies don't happen overnight with the way the economy is, and things take time. Don't get discouraged. It’s going to be a struggle, but without struggle, there is no progress.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Marissa!

No comments:

Post a Comment